FTP plugin not really working

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
RoelofB

FTP plugin not really working

Post by RoelofB »

I think the build in FTP plugin is not really working : while uploading files to my server, these are queued, but the queue is processed very slowly / not at all : "time out" all the time ... ?! I tried to adjust several settings (e.g. passive mode) but nothing seems to help. I have to use a seperate FTP program now (FileZilla v3) and this is OK here ...

What's wrong ? I would like to use your FTP plugin so badly, while it's very handy and ... Salamander was meant to have this neat feature in the very first place, didn't it ?
simple is not always best, but best is always simple
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi, could you please upload same files using FileZilla v3 and Salamander 2.51. Then save log files from both applications and send it to petr.solin@altap.cz. Attach link to this thread. Petr will contact you during next week.

Hint: what about your firewall settings? Could be Salamander blocked by your personal/application firewall?
RoelofB

FTP plugin testing

Post by RoelofB »

I just tried to do an upload test again to supply the logs, but ... it works perfectly now !? So it has nothing to do with my firewall. But the slow / impossible uploading DOES occur ... maybe this is due to the time (evening) I do it, and the internet traffic is heavy : I will try again later and respond then.

NOTE : when this impossible uploading occurs, the FileZilla FTP client doesn't seem to have any problem.

Later,
Roelof
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Just use our FTP plugin and when the problem occur, save all logs (Plugins > FTP Client > Show Logs, then Log > Save All As command).
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

RoelofB are you using some Bittorrent Client while you do the FTP stuff?
Is it possible that you have simply too many open connections?
You can check it using CurrentPorts tool from Nir Sofer.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
RoelofB

Problem not solved yet : report

Post by RoelofB »

Today the same problem occured : uploading a file (an index.php) of only 51 Kb took 16 minutes !? To solve the problem, I saved the log and send it to the developer, including some other info.

No, I had no BitTorrent running (well, uTorrent was running, but not downloading / seeding any file). I use Windows XP Corp Dutch SP2, the newest Salamander 2.51 and I just use the Windows firewall without any special setup.

At one moment during the mentioned FTP upload, a 100% was shown, but still "processing" (and "time left : 1 sec"), not "finished" as expected ... and while waiting for the finish, the FTP plugin program started the upload again from the beginning ..!?.. maybe you can see this in the log.

That's it for now,
Roelof
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you for the log file! Petr will contact you during next week.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

RoelofB even when you dont leech/seed and the program is running, connections are created because of enabled DHT. (check the mentioned CurrentPorts tool or TCPView from sysinternals)

The other possible problem could be the antivirus software.
Commonly they check the HTTP anf FTP connections for viruses and may cause these delays. What antivirus are you using? Can you try to turn it off for a test?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

The problem is this:

Code: Select all

STOR index.php
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for index.php
(16:00:09): Sending of FTP command has timed out.
(16:00:09): Entire file was sent but server did not confirm its receiving.
Going to get file size (in bytes) to test if file was successfully copied/moved.
FTP client waits for result of STOR (upload) command from FTP server and it does not come. Without this result client cannot be sure that server have obtained whole file (some FTP clients maybe ignore this fact). If you can use binary mode for your transfer, do it, because in this case FTP client can detect that upload was successful just by getting file size of uploaded file. This is not possible for ASCII transfer mode (converting of CRLF to LF or vice versa changes file size), so client must upload the whole file again (probably uselessly, but it's not sure).

I know that this problem occurs when you are uploading large files for long time (e.g. 2 hours), in this case it's always in binary mode, so I have patched this problem by getting of file size of uploaded file. But with short uploads I have no experience. It's possible that you have some extra software installed on your machine which causes these problems. It may be antivirus or firewall, or some other software modifying/touching network layer of Windows.
roman2

Re: FTP plugin not really working

Post by roman2 »

I have this problem sometimes too. It happened today when I was uploading many small files in a batch (a copy of the Swift Mailer PHP library). Closing and reopening Salamander seems to have fixed the situation.
dhuseby

Re: FTP plugin not really working

Post by dhuseby »

Look... ftp from salamander to filezilla sever has been broken forever... Fix it or I am outa here ... after 7 years. You want me to freakin upgrade but you sell me shit... I am at the end of my road boys@!!