Unreliable and not user friendly FTP client

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
roman2

Unreliable and not user friendly FTP client

Post by roman2 »

I transferred a lot of files from a web server to my PC and then from it to another web server and noticed some problems:
- during the copying process I got lots of errors and my checking the checkbox for Salamander to remember the action for future similar problems didn't produce the desired effect;
- one (as far as I am aware now) file got transferred with a zero size, and I wasn't made aware of this by Salamander. My client (a person) has notified me of a missing file.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you reproduce this problem? Could you send us log files?

The FTP Client plugin is pretty reliable for us. We spent plenty of time on it.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Where would I get the log files?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Reproduce the problem.
Then from Altap Salamander menu choose: Plugins > FTP Client > Show Logs.
In the displayed window choose the Log > Save All As command.

Please send it to petr.solin@altap.cz with link to this thread. Petr is on holiday now but will contact you in a week.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

It's hard to reproduce this. I will need to have poor network connection factor active again. Will an eye on this.

Is there any file transfer verification used with your plugin?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Thanks. There is no verification in basic FTP protocol. Some advanced FTP servers support CRC checksums but our FTP client is not yet supporting them (unfortunatelly it's not supported by common FTP servers).

TCP connection should report any errors in data, so FTP data transfers should not need any similar verification.