Performance Bug with Thumbnails

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Lars

Performance Bug with Thumbnails

Post by Lars »

Hi

i switched my right panel to thumnail view and opend the folder "My Files". if i go to the parent directory samander takes 50% cpu speed for about 1-2 minutes. i use german win xp with sp 2 on a pentium 4 with 3 ghz. servant salamander is 2.5 beta 11.

yours

Lars

emails to l.guse@siematic.de
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Performance Bug with Thumbnails

Post by Jan Patera »

Lars wrote:if i go to the parent directory samander takes 50% cpu speed for about 1-2 minutes.
What file formats do you have in that folder? Could it be that it is full of huge images or complicated PDF documents?
If you find some time, could you please find out which file(s) cause the CPU hog and send us them for analysis?

Thanks,
-- Jan
skipper

thumbnails

Post by skipper »

@jan

i've mailed U a screen shot!

ragards
alex
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: thumbnails

Post by Jan Patera »

skipper wrote:@jan

i've mailed U a screen shot!

ragards
alex
Alex, are you the same user as Lars? To which Jan did you send a screenshot?
I haven't received anything yet :-( A screenshot of what did you send? I don't think a screenshot is really usefull in this case...
Leosch

mám ten samý problém !!!

Post by Leosch »

nainstaloval jsem si ss rc2 a hned ho zacal pouzivat a ouha ! dal jsem zobrazeni "thumbnail" a adresare ktere mam ulozene primo na plose a chci je otevrit, se otviraji zhruba minutu a pul. behem te doby se zobrazuji presypaci hodiny a procesor jede na 100%. a je uplne jedno co v tech adresarich je, textaky, mp3, obrazky, proste obsahem to fakt neni, dela to uplne na vsech bez vyjimky. to same kdyz chci do nadrazeneho adresare. proste v tomhle zobrazeni se neda prochazet vubec adresari na plose, bez prodlevy 1,5 s. ostatni adresare ktere mam na c: a na d: se daji v tomhle zobrazeni prochazet uplne normalne... prosim poradte
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi, I have a question for you: How many files do you have in these directories? The only delay I could get during my testing was when I opened directory with about 1500 files! The delay was caused by enumerating the list of filenames (After a while information dialog saying this showed up). It was same delay for thumbnail as well as details view.

If you have less files in your folder, can you try checking the disk? Use command (using Salamander's command prompt):

Code: Select all

chkdsk X: /f
(X: is the disk you wish to check) On system disk you need to schedule the check operation for the next boot and then restart the computer.

EDIT: More info about chkdsk command can be found on Microsoft page: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... hkdsk.mspx
Leosch

uz jsem to rozlousk !

Post by Leosch »

uz jsem na to prisel, haleluja ! :D
zjistil jsem ze ani nemusim prochazet adresarema na plose, ze staci mit plochu pouze zobrazenou v "thumbnail" modu a okamzite ss zahlti procesor na 100%. tak jsem obsah cely plochy zkopiroval uplne na jinej disk a tam to delalo taky. zacal jsem teda postupne odmazavat soubor po souboru az jsem zjistil kterej tohle mrznuti zpusobuje. bylo to uplne normalni pdfko stazeny ze stranek Panasonicu a ss si s nim bohuzel neporadil. nedokaze z nej jako by udelat nahledovej thumbnail. zkousel jsem ostatni pdfka a u tech to ss zvladne, ale tady u toho jednoho ne. takze jsem ho dal do extra adresare, do kteryho pres ss radsi nepolezu a uz to neresim 8)

btw: scandisk nepomoh, ale i tak diky.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: uz jsem to rozlousk !

Post by Jan Patera »

Leosch wrote:bylo to uplne normalni pdfko stazeny ze stranek Panasonicu
Could you please send me the file for analysis? The address is support<at_sign>pictview.com. If it has over 1MB, I'd like to ask you to use http://www.uschovna.cz or similar service. Thank you.
therube

Post by therube »

Could you translate Leosch's post?
(Or point me to an online Czech to English translation site).

Thanks.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Summary of Leosch's posts:
Leosch had problems with big delays when using Thumbnail view in some folder on Desktop. The culprit was some PDF file in the folder and removing the file solved the issue.

If you are experiencing similar problems try to identify the problematic files and send them to the Altap developers for analysis.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

You can also run another Salamander and when the first Salamander is frozen (slowly reading a thumbnail), switch to the second Salamander, go to menu Help / Task List, focus the first Salamander (line without "current process") and click the Break button. This should open the Bug Report window in the first Salamander, find "IconThreadThreadFBody::LoadThumbnail" in Prepared text and you will see the filename for which Salamander is getting thumbnail (e.g. "IconThreadThreadFBody::LoadThumbnail(F:\Photos\France 2004\DSCN5042.JPG, 1)").