Salamander 2.51

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Ether

Post by Ether »

@memyselfandi] There's no dark for you to be kept in. The ALTAP Team makes announcements that the release of AS 2.51 is closing just because of the people that want the new version "here and now". It's under development and that's it.* There's no reason to think that the ALTAP Team isn't* doing it's best to release the new version ASAP, but AS has been always a very reliable program, so they can't push it too much forward. I don't want to say they're incapable of their work, I want to say there's been always a lot of work to do and that takes time.

@ALTAP Team] Feel free to correct me. I'm a mere human. :D

*] edited
Last edited by Ether on 26 Jan 2008, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Ελληνικά rulez.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Please stop nagging...
a) AFAIK Salamander is the most stable program I ever had.
b) If there are critical errors found, Altap releases a minor version within few days !!!
c) If you think that programming a application like Salamander is easy, get real.
d) The near "realtime" support we get here is amazing. I've never had an experience like this one here, where developers actually talk to people and exchange ideas.

So all the naggers PLEASE take it as a fact, that a new version will be released WHEN ITS DONE (AND PROPERLY TESTED).

Thank you :!:
knick

Post by knick »

SelfMan wrote:Please stop nagging...
a) AFAIK Salamander is the most stable program I ever had.
Yes - Full ACK!
SelfMan wrote:Please stop nagging...
So all the naggers PLEASE take it as a fact, that a new version will be released WHEN ITS DONE (AND PROPERLY TESTED).
Well, this reminds me of "Duke Nukem"... Just kidding ;-)

Fact is, that the guys of ALTAP had "promised" the release multiple times ("... will be released next week"). I really can't imagine that from oct 2007 until now (IIRC, the first "next week announcement" was in oct 2007) they haven't finished 2.51. But who knows... With this delay AS should be full of new features :twisted:

But I could imagine that the guys have decided that 2.51 will be released with a complete redesign of the Web-Site - and the new site isn't ready....

Bye,
Michael
memyselfandi

Post by memyselfandi »

First of all I never said anything about AS being a bad piece of coding. Infact I share Selfman's opinion that AS is about the best damn piece of software I have come across in a long time. BUT what I have to criticise is their projects deadline analysis since they released a final version of 2.5. Every version up to the very last final was released about 2-3 days before deadline. Now that they released the final version this seems to have fallen into oblivion. There is not a single thread mentioning a reason for this behavior, not to mention a sticky thread or something compareable.
As a paying customer I have an interest in the future of the software. I honestly agree that AS is a marvelous piece of coding. My nagging's only intention is to get a reliable release date or maybe a project status report. They didn't even think it necessary to update their timeline. TC and the alike are much more open on these issues. A sentence like "sorry guys, we still have to prep our new website before we launch the next final version" or something would work marvels, don't you think??

It's just that, everything else is perfect, promised :!: :!: :!:
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

memyselfandi wrote:A sentence like "sorry guys, we still have to prep our new website before we launch the next final version" or something would work marvels, don't you think??
This means that you don't read everything on the site :-)
Altap had to start a new site because of plug-in sale and they had a lot of work with that. but I agree with one thing - a sticky post would be nice.
knick

Post by knick »

SelfMan wrote: This means that you don't read everything on the site :-)
Altap had to start a new site because of plug-in sale and they had a lot of work with that. but I agree with one thing - a sticky post would be nice.
Are you talking about WinSCP ? This is done - have a look at the new purchase page at http://purchase.altap.cz/purchase/

Bye,
Michael
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I know that its done :-). Its only that they had only one Time, andt split it between Slamander and web development.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

SelfMan wrote:So all the naggers PLEASE take it as a fact, that a new version will be released WHEN ITS DONE (AND PROPERLY TESTED).
Yes - that true! But why these confusing announcements???
:arrow: It's all a communication-problem! I've no problem with a later release, I use AS "as is" and it is really good and helpful! :D
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by Ether »

KNUT wrote:But why these confusing announcements???
I think it's because someone asked. :idea:
Ελληνικά rulez.
Voland

Post by Voland »

So are there any news about release date? And for how long we shold be waiting?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Voland wrote:So are there any news about release date? And for how long we shold be waiting?
The news is we are preparing release of Altap Salamander 2.51 from 02/13/2008 and it should be released really soon if all will go well. We will also update our website. We are sorry for our delay.