Salamder crashes somtimes with CVS icons

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
rebetz

Salamder crashes somtimes with CVS icons

Post by rebetz »

I am running Salamander on a Windows XP x64 machine. I am also running TortoiseCVS V1.10.1 RC11 and TortoiseSVN 1.4.5 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed.

Sometimes when I start Salamander it crashes (almost immediately) with a General Protection type fault. I can sometimes restart it, and then it is fine. It would appear that there is some sort of the timing issue on start up. I suspect that it may be something to do with the shell extension icons for the tortoise products.

Windows explorer has no problems.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so are the developers going to try and make Salamander work properly with these verson control products?

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments in relation to the above.

Bob.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Have you tried to install the latest night build?
http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/
There have been many changes in overlay icon handling.
rebetz

Post by rebetz »

I am using the latest release of TortoiseSVN. I don't think that it is TortoiseSVN that is causing the problem. I believe that it is probably TortoiseCVS, which (ironically) seems to be less devloped than the SVN version.

I guess the issue that I have is the Explorer works OK with both, yet Salamaber does not. This fact, to me anyway, would indicate that there is some difference in how Salamander handles these overlays that is causing the problem.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

As in previous discussions mentioned, most such crashes are caused by broken shell extensions. There is no appropriate error handling if such an extension crashes so it takes the application down.
It might be that the culprit is the TortoiseCVS shell extension.

For the test - you can download the ShellExView - Shell Extensions Manager from Nir Sofer http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html and use it to turn off the TortoiseCVS shell extension.
See if the crashes reappear or not. (red lines = broken extension)
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Not sure about Tortoise CVS extension, but latest official release of Tortoise SVN extension (1.4.5) IS broken, there is a known threading issue with TSVNCache executable. Explorer is single threaded, so it's extremely unlikely to hit this problem, Salamander is multi threaded, so it's hitting this problem quite often.
The bug has been fixed few months ago, but it is still available only in the nightly build.
If you want to use Salamander with TSVN, the only way to avoid crashes is to use nightly build until next TSVN release...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

More information about TortoiseSVN problem (fixed from nightly build r9915):
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=9882#9882
http://svn.haxx.se/tsvn/archive-2007-06/0280.shtml

From Altap Salamander 2.51 it will be possible to disable particular icon overlay handlers (provided by shell extensions).
Attachments
Disable/Enable icon overlay handlers
Disable/Enable icon overlay handlers
iconoverlays.png (27.76 KiB) Viewed 9990 times
SvA

Post by SvA »

Reading Thomas Kopal's post, was it not maybe useful to restrict certain icon overlay provider to be used singlethreaded only?
I know this does not completely avoid crashes, but it would restrict the chance to provoke one considerably.
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

But that would mean considerable changes to AS design, and it would take a lot of time to implement, much more than this change would be worth.