Sending mail thru Ctrl-E on Vista

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
cincura.net

Sending mail thru Ctrl-E on Vista

Post by cincura.net »

Hi *,

Environment: Windows Vista 64-Bit, Business
AS running as Administrator

When you try to run Ctrl-E command, nothing happens. From my search, it's because AS is running as admin, so it cannot operate with my Outlook.
Last edited by cincura.net on 09 Jun 2007, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Outlook from Office 2007?

Confirmed, doesn't work even with Thunderbird 2.0.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Outlook from Office 2007?.
Yes Outlook 2007. But IMHO this isn't about program.

When I run AS as "normal" user, Ctrl-E works fine.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

If you're logged in as some user, say 'Dawe', and run AS as Administrator, then, as I suspect, all program calls from AS are running as Admin, too. If I understand you correctly, you're expecting AS to use Dawe's e-mail account, but that's impossible.
Solution would be sending e-mails from an instance of AS under Dawe's account, or better use UAC - that's what's UAC for, isn't it?
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote:that's what's UAC for, isn't it?
Well, we need to separate problem in two parts. First is, that now you have to run AS as Administrator (to have full features, i.e. writing to PF). The UAC or better "process elevation" is here to help in these situations. If you're running AS (under normal account) and you want to write something for example into PF dir., the program should ask for Administrator credentials and do this in separate (elevated) process. But for now, AS doesn't support this. So you have two options. First, run AS as Administrator whole time, which is not so good, cause everything what AS does (runs) has full privileges. The other is to run it under your normal account and for operations where you need higher permissions run another instance as Administrator.

The problem for now (with email) is, that a lot of users run AS under Administrator privileges, that AS cannot raise the message window of your default mailclient, cause' it's under another account (and the interface used in AS doesn't support this (AFAIK any other doesn't support this)).

So as you can see, this is contrary problem to UAC. But when the UAC will be introduced, the side effect will be, that this problem will be gone.

I hope I descibe the problem clearly.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

I know, I know, it was an appelation to our hard-working developers. And about the reverse UAC thing - AFAIK Windows support 'Running as...' only using Administrators accounts, meaning that running e-mail client as user with lower privileges is impossible (this is what I meant in the previous post).
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote:I know, I know, it was an appelation to our hard-working developers. And about the reverse UAC thing - AFAIK Windows support 'Running as...' only using Administrators accounts, meaning that running
Not at all. On WinXP, Win2003 server you can use secondary logon as any user you want.
ether wrote: e-mail client as user with lower privileges is impossible (this is what I meant in the previous post).
But this is completely unrelated to this thread.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

On WinXP, Win2003 server you can use secondary logon as any user you want.
You're right, I tried it and it works. I had tried running links as lower users before and it had not work, so I considered it impossible.
If it is so, I have to agree with you, the solution is UAC implementation. Programming a routine to run e-mail client of another user is rather useless for most people.
Still, I don't understand, why send e-mail from AS with admin rights. Can you clarify this to me?

I'm terribly sorry for this misunderstanding and thanks for the 'Run as' tip. I should blame M$ for this. BTW do you have any idea, why running as... doesn't work on links for non-Admin accounts?
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote: Still, I don't understand, why send e-mail from AS with admin rights. Can you clarify this to me?
I was not talking about sending mail as admin. I was talking about problem, that if AS is started under administrator (which is neccessary for some tasks in vista) you're not able to run Ctrl-E command at all. And a lot of users in Vista in running AS under administrator (and it's not neccessary, and has big security impact) so can be confused with this behavior.

So, you probably understand, UAC isn't solution for this problem in primary. But when nobody will run AS as elevated process, the Ctrl-E will start working. And this will be done after UAC in AS kernel will be done (cause AS will be running not as admin).

Is this clear for you?
ether wrote: I'm terribly sorry for this misunderstanding and thanks for the 'Run as' tip. I should blame M$ for this. BTW do you have any idea, why running as... doesn't work on links for non-Admin accounts?
AFAIK it's working for all accounts. At least on W2k3 server.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

OK, I'm getting a little bit lost in this. :)

And if you run AS in environment with fully enabled admin privileges (probably needing to disable UAC), is the Ctrl-E command still not working?

BTW I wonder why are we talking in English...
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote:OK, I'm getting a little bit lost in this. :)
Never mind. :)
ether wrote: And if you run AS in environment with fully enabled admin privileges (probably needing to disable UAC), is the Ctrl-E command still not working?
Depends whether your mailclient will be running under same user. If we talk about disabling all security features and running AS as admin and i.e. Outlook as admin, it will (should) work. Same for any other user (with privilege to run these programs).
ether wrote: BTW I wonder why are we talking in English...
Why not? ;)
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

Because I'm not THAT good in English to just comprehend a thought, which has been made up in Czech brain and translated to English and then made up an adequate response in Czech and translate it to English, again. I think, there are too much details that can be lost and are cause to some misunderstanings. That's why.

Now, I want to post my experience with similar issue:
1] shell and OE are running as ether
2] AS is running in two instances, once as Admin, once as ether
3] Ctrl-E in the ether one is working fine
4] Ctrl-E in the Admin one is not working, popping up some error (attached)
5] after ending OE, Ctrl-E in Admin works fine and shows a new mail window
6] with the new Admin's OE still there, Ctrl-E in ether's AS refuses to work with the same error as before
7] it's all funny; I will probably end up using Debian or Fedora Core :wink:

BTW how does the 'xxx wrote' feature work? I couldn't find anything more than the Quote button, which has different effect.
Attachments
an error...
an error...
Clipbrd1.gif (6.06 KiB) Viewed 15260 times
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Note only: the Files > Email command is using Simple MAPI.

Sending message: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms527988.aspx

Very simple API, not much room for tweaking :)
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Rysavy wrote: Very simple API, not much room for tweaking :)
Yes, I know. Just to close the thread. When UAC will be implemented (so nobody (normal) will run AS under admin), this problem will be gone.

Jan, please, lock the thread, seems to be, that we're now just talking about nothing.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote: 1] shell and OE are running as ether
2] AS is running in two instances, once as Admin, once as ether
3] Ctrl-E in the ether one is working fine
4] Ctrl-E in the Admin one is not working, popping up some error (attached)
5] after ending OE, Ctrl-E in Admin works fine and shows a new mail window
6] with the new Admin's OE still there, Ctrl-E in ether's AS refuses to work with the same error as before
7] it's all funny; I will probably end up using Debian or Fedora Core :wink:
Yep, as expected. Completely clear.
Jiri {x2} Cincura