"Check for New Versions" Not working

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
docfxit

"Check for New Versions" Not working

Post by docfxit »

I would like to see the "Check for New Versions" working again. I haven't seen it work for a couple versions now.

I'd also like to see the capability of Altap being able to initiate an update without user input (silent). That way if Altap finds bugs (enhancements) they can be fixed without requiring an expiration on the program. That would save a lot of time for the user to re-install every time a new release comes out. And it would also resolve all the issues of why the software has had an expiration date on it. Altap could keep all copies up-to-date without people having to download and re-install the new version.

Thank you,

Docfxit
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The CheckVer plugin is working again.
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Jan Rysavy wrote:The CheckVer plugin is working again.
Thank you,

Docfxit
Textor

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:The CheckVer plugin is working again.
Sorry for having to report this, but it does not work for me in 2.5 final - it already didn't in RC3. Earlier RCs worked fine.

The plug-in does not seem to connect to the website, there is no activity on the modem line during the check. Afer some seconds, an error message comes up about not having been able to make a connection.
SvA

Post by SvA »

What about you Checkver Plugin setup, esp. Internet Connection Settings, and your firewall?
Textor

Post by Textor »

SvA wrote:What about you Checkver Plugin setup, esp. Internet Connection Settings, and your firewall?
Salamander is in the Windows Firewall list of programs allowed to access the internet.

The connection settings are correctly set to "modem and phone line".
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Did you try FTP or FTP passive protocols (CheckVer settings)?
Textor

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Did you try FTP or FTP passive protocols (CheckVer settings)?
Whether I use http, ftp, or ftp passive mode:
in each case, nothing is happening on the modem line, there is no traffic at all.

After a few seconds, the plug-in reports that it could not establish a connection.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I have another idea: could you connect to our (or other) FTP server using Salamander's FTP client? (ALTAP server address is defined in FTP bookmarks)
Textor

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:I have another idea: could you connect to our (or other) FTP server using Salamander's FTP client? (ALTAP server address is defined in FTP bookmarks)
The FTP-client works perfectly.

This is e.g. the content of the file english.txt in the directory checkver:
SALAMANDER_VERINFO_BEGIN
salamand.exe
Altap Salamander
www.altap.cz
-Operations Copy, Move, Delete are running at background, the main window is not blocked.
-Transfer speed and time estimation is displayed. You can also set the speed limit.
-Icon overlays are displayed in panels (Offline Files, Tortoise SVN/CVS, etc.).
-20 new plugins (FTP Client, Undelete, Renamer, File Comparator, etc.)
-Support for Windows Vista.
-And much much more. For more information please visit our web site.

SALAMANDER_VERINFO_EOF
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

OK, so Salamander is really not blocked by some firewall.

Do you use Internet Explorer or some alternate web browser? If you don't use IE, please try to start it and check the "offline" state.
CheckVer plugin (for simplicity) is using standard Windows Internet API to reach our web site. This API is connected to Internet Explorer so the problem may be there.
Textor

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Do you use Internet Explorer or some alternate web browser? If you don't use IE, please try to start it and check the "offline" state.
CheckVer plugin (for simplicity) is using standard Windows Internet API to reach our web site. This API is connected to Internet Explorer so the problem may be there.
Interesting, that could be the problem - I use Opera 9.01 and FireFox 2 exclusively.

Yes, that was the problem - IE was not configured properly for http-connections. I use the Proxomitron webfilter, so all browsers need to connect through a local proxy, with the right port definition set. The "Work Offline" state was in fact turned off, so that did not cause the problem. Interesting that the wrong http-proxy settings also affected the ftp-protocoll used by the plug-in.

In any case, Check Version works again - thank you :!:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you for patience :)