problem using internal viewer with multiple files

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.

problem using internal viewer with multiple files

Post by Guest »

1. select several images or a folder that contains several images
2. press F3 -> pictview opens
3. press SPACE / BACKSPACE to next / previous image
4. now in Salamander go to another folder
5. back in pictview you cant go to next image anymore

1. press F3 at a textfile
2. press SPACE to jump to next textfile
3. press BACKSPACE for previous textfile - nothing happens
cincura.net

Re: problem using internal viewer with multiple files

Post by cincura.net »

Anonymous wrote:1. select several images or a folder that contains several images
2. press F3 -> pictview opens
3. press SPACE / BACKSPACE to next / previous image
4. now in Salamander go to another folder
5. back in pictview you cant go to next image anymore
Yes, because of PictView is still in the previous folder. No wonder.
Anonymous wrote: 1. press F3 at a textfile
2. press SPACE to jump to next textfile
3. press BACKSPACE for previous textfile - nothing happens
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=160&highlight=
Jiri {x2} Cincura

Re: problem using internal viewer with multiple files

Post by Guest »

cincura.net wrote:Yes, because of PictView is still in the previous folder. No wonder.
that goes fine with me. but its annoying sometimes when i´m browsing through multiple images..
i thought, the pictview reads all the filenames in an array to browse the files. so when salamander selects another folder, pictview still goes to next pic.

another point. when i go back in the right folder, pictview still denies to jump to next/previous image. why is that?
omega

Post by omega »

The answer is obvious isn't it? Just like when you switch directory PictView doesn't go to previous/next image cause you already left that directory.
When you switch back from another directory it's still the same with PictView.
It does not "memorize", so you need to press F3 again.

If you want to switch folders use the other panel press F3 again. Now 2 PictView will be shown in the taskbar. Both will let you browse images of 2 different folders.
Just tested it myself now didn't know PictView could do that :D
Seelenquell

Post by Seelenquell »

ok i can use different pictview instances.. i know that :)

but sometimes i´m using 2 and more instances of SS. in every folder i press F3 there are at least 4 instances of PV.. that´s a mess on the screen :D

wouldn´t it be better if PV memorizes the files to be viewed in a filelist in the memory? like an array or something?

maybe not.
omega

Post by omega »

4 instances of PV ? sounds to me you want PV to memorize all the picture files in many directories so you don't have to open 4 instances.

why not just browse another directory with the other panel? If you have 2 instances of SS you have 4 panels.
Seelenquell

Post by Seelenquell »

omega wrote:4 instances of PV ? sounds to me you want PV to memorize all the picture files in many directories so you don't have to open 4 instances.

why not just browse another directory with the other panel? If you have 2 instances of SS you have 4 panels.
i try to ask another way.
when i browse a folder and open PV, PV "knows", what file comes next/before, right?
but when i change the folder, why PV "forgets" this? could it be, that SS memorizes the filelist and PV uses this list too? why not make PV a copy of this list? so it could browse the files while SS is in another folder in the meantime.
don´t get me wrong, i don´t want to make things more complicated as they are.
omega

Post by omega »

Yes i understand what you mean. I just tested if it's possible in different viewers. It seems it's possible.

Windows Picture Viewer & Fax Viewer still works if you change directories using windows explorer.

Also if you use an external viewer like IrfanView in SS it still let you browse the directory even if you left it. Whether this is useful i don't know.
But in the mean time you can try IrfanView and ALT+F3 will work as the way you want
Seelenquell

Post by Seelenquell »

thank you :)

i know its a very hard job to write such a good prog. and a little extra harder to understand me :D

it´s not that i can´t live without it, ya know? just wanted to give a tip.

irfanview is not useful for me cause its not as fast as your PV. and i like it that fast :D so i use it like i used it last days before. no big problem.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Seelenquell wrote:when i browse a folder and open PV, PV "knows", what file comes next/before, right?
but when i change the folder, why PV "forgets" this? could it be, that SS memorizes the filelist and PV uses this list too?
PictView (and all other viewers) uses an iterator iterating files in the panel. When the panel folder path is changed, this iterator becomes invalid.
Memorizing the file list has several disadvantages - there can be too many files, iterating thru them (and memorizing them) can take long time on slow disks & networks. And it would not reflect changes in the contents of the folder after the image was opened (and file list memorized).