Problem: Delayed Move and Copy Operations

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Did you encounter these problems in other applications too?
Mem

Post by Mem »

I will try to simulate it in Explorer
antp

Post by antp »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Did you encounter these problems in other applications too?
No, but it is hard to say: Windows Explorer is so slow compared to Salamander; if it runs a little slower than usual is not easy to notice :D
theweblord

move and copies are freezing

Post by theweblord »

I have been a Salamander power user for a long time now .... Just today I started getting a simuar issue. All that I have done was to install patches via autopatcher (very recent install of XP on new HD). Worked fine for the last serval days. Now copying and moving files within Salamander will freeze the system for a few seconds the action only seems to complete the "file move" after I have waited for about 10 second the pressing "ctrl-alt-del" to bring up the task manager. Moving / Copying files via explorer does not exibit the freeze of delay. Here is some info about my machine:
AMD FX-55 on ABIT MB (NVIDIA CHIP SET)
2GB CAS 2 RAM | NVIDIA 7600GS
WindowsXP SP2
NOD32 AV (problem existes when disabled)
NVIDIA Firewall installed but not active

Let me know if you need any other information about my system.

-Web
SvA

Post by SvA »

So you probably installed IE 7.0, as it is part of Microsoft's "security" updates, did you?
TheWebLord

Post by TheWebLord »

yes I did.

I have now completely uninstalled IE7 and Nod32 then removed all other HDD from system part of troubleshooting. The problem still exists. Copying out of SS via zip file is still fast but moving at file system level causes the freeze. I will update this thread if I ever figure it out.

-Web
Tim

Post by Tim »

@ TheWebLord

Well, you are the TheWebLord - if you don't figure it out who else will? :)

Now seriously, I wish someone would come up with a solution soon. This delay really makes me mad. This bug is sooo un-SS, isn't it?

Best wishes
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We have IE7 on two Win XP SP2 machines now and no problem here.
There will be some other factor (probably display driver or some utility).
antp

Post by antp »

Nvidia GeForce 7 on a PC, Matrox G550 on another.
I can try to disable any resident utility, but there are nearly none (and none common between the two PC actually... so I really do not see what causes the trouble :/)
I will do tomorrow a test on a clean XP in Virtual PC.
antp

Post by antp »

I made the test in Virtual PC.
So this was a clean XP (fresh install), nothing resident, default video drivers, etc.
I installed SP2, still wortking fine.
I installed IE7 (downloaded separately, not from Windows Update).
And I have this delay problem. But less often than on my other PCs. I would say 1 operation out of 15 or 20, instead of 1 out of 3.
And it seems to occur mostly on delete (shift+del, i.e. without using recycle bin) rather than on copy/move.
Mem

Post by Mem »

antp wrote:And it seems to occur mostly on delete (shift+del, i.e. without using recycle bin) rather than on copy/move.
I confirm very same behaviour. And I have another tip - I have also MS Virtual PC installed and mapped one directory on physical disk as a virtual drive so maybe this can be causing problems too (but I doubt so many users will have VPC installed).

But if the delay problem si caused by disk driver, cache (late writing) etc and you have Virtual PC installed on the PC which has this problem itself it may affect Virtual PC too and thus testing in VPC will not prove anything?
antp

Post by antp »

I can try on a PC that does not have VPC... I'll install IE7 on another PC at my work tomorrow ;)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Great! We will test it with VMWARE.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

I don't know if my post will be any help, but I have IE7, VirtualPC as well as VMWare installed on my computer. I haven't noticed any delays on my computer and not even on my virtual VMWare hosted machine.
As I tested other minor bug reported in Czech part of the forum I tested this one as well on:
- real Windows XP SP2 + IE7 machine (VirtualPC 2004 installed, but currently unused)
- real Windows XP SP2 + IE6 notebook (no VirtualPC)
- VMWared WindowsXP SP2 + IE7 + Office 12 + WMP 11
- real Windows Vista final machine
:arrow: no delay before copy/delete operations on any of these machines

To be exact, there was a small delay when working with large number of files - the delay was caused by Salamander enumerating the files. On the second run (when results ware cached by system?) the delay disappeared.
antp

Post by antp »

Delay is after, not before.