Problem: Delayed Move and Copy Operations

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
antp

Post by antp »

Tested on a PC without Virtual PC : after install of IE 7 the problem is there too :/
Note that it does not happen all the time. I have to play with few small files to see it. Sometimes it comes only after then 10th copy/delete.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

antp wrote:Delay is after, not before.
Ah, I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood the original post. But still I'm not able to reproduce this either. I've got visible delay just once for a split second, but I heard disk working on some other task, so it's IMHO normal.

Are there any circumstances when the delay appears more frequently?

Just an idea: Do you have any desktop search software installed? It may cause the delays because it tries to catch up its file database....
TheWebLord

System rebuilt

Post by TheWebLord »

No, I wasn't seeing this issue with copy/move file with explorer... I have since then rebuilt my windows system *without IE7* from ground up and am no longer having the same issue. I was not able to figure out what was wrong.
antp

Post by antp »

zarevak wrote: Are there any circumstances when the delay appears more frequently?

Just an idea: Do you have any desktop search software installed? It may cause the delays because it tries to catch up its file database....
It seems to happen only (but not all the time) when the operation is fast enough to not have the progress window displayed (small files, or move on same partition), but I am not 100% sure.

No special program: as I said I had this problem also on a clean fresh install of XP with just SP2 & IE7 added.
Mem

Post by Mem »

antp: And can you please uninstall IE7 and try it again? Because i did it (installing and unistalling) and the problem still persist
antp

Post by antp »

Sorry for the delay.
I did that test: the problem is still there after having uninstalled IE7, as you said.
But as it appears when installing IE7, I guess that it is related to another system component updated by IE7?
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

I have no Windows updates since february and everything was fine. Lately installed them all (including IE7). Now I have move/copy operations delays too... :?
My deepest apologies for my awful English.
violator

Post by violator »

I'm having the same delay problem since Salamander 2.5 RC2!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Is there really no solution for this yet?
Please provide a fix before I get used to this bug. ;)

Best regards
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Tim, we cannot fix problem that we are not able to reproduce. What we are looking for is for example VMWARE image where this problem appears...
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks, Jan.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Best wishes
Tim
bernie79

Progress

Post by bernie79 »

hi,

have you made any progress on this issue? it is still a problem an can be very annoying if you have a lot of fileoperations to do ... :(

i agree that this problem did not occure before RC2. appears with copy/move operation via F5/F6 and the clipboard. if you do the operation for the first time, you will recognise a lag. if you for example move the file back to the original location and redo the operation the lag is gone.

it's weird.

best regards,
bernie
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi, we still cannot reproduce this problem. What we are looking for is image for VMWARE where this problem can be reproduced...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We just received another bug report regarding this problem.

If the after-operation delay is long enough (6 seconds should be enough), could you please try to break freezed Salamander from another Salamander? Menu Help > Task List > Break. Bug report should be displayed for freezed instance.
antp

Post by antp »

After few tries, it seems that if I break it when it is freezed it has these extra lines in the call stack:

CMainWindow::WindowProc(0x806A, 0x0, 0x0)
CFilesBox::WindowProc(0x20, 0x45023A, 0x2000001)
CFilesWindow::WindowProc(0x20, 0x45023A, 0x2000001)

I send you link for file by private message.