Problem: Delayed Move and Copy Operations

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

:shock:
0x20 means WM_SETCURSOR with parameters:
- 0x45023A - window handle
- 0x02000001:
-- 0x0200 - WM_SETCURSOR is part of WM_MOUSEMOVE
-- 0x0001 - HTCLIENT - mouse is over windows client area
--> This message is sent by Windows to Salamander to change cursor shape if needed. The application (Salamander) should respond by selecting appropriate cursor (eg.: hand for hyperlinks; I-beam for text; ...)

I don't see a reason for a delay here... Do you use any non-standard mouse cursors?
antp

Post by antp »

For hourglass cursor yes, but not for normal one. And I doubt that this is related as I had the same problem in a VirtualPC machine with default cursors.
So these messages are maybe not the reason of the delay/freeze... Or is there a problem in the way that Salamander changes the cursors?
But maybe that the "break" is done only after the freeze, if it is really frozen?
therube

Post by therube »

To those having the problem described in this thread, check to see if CTFMON.EXE is running on your systems.

If it is, it will be viewable in MSCONFIG, in the Startup tab.

See my thread here: Problem: Delayed View and Delete Operations
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
antp

Post by antp »

Indeed if I kill CTFMON the problem seems to disappear... I suppose that this program was updated by the install of IE7?
I always saw it on all PCs, but it does not seem so useful in most of the cases: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
therube

Post by therube »

I suppose that this program was updated by the install of IE7
Seems like it.
I've updated my thread with notes on IE7.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Looks VERY PROMISING!

Could others confirm relation of delay_problem with CTFMON.EXE?
Please let us know your CTFMON.EXE version and office version. Thanks!
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The CTFMON delay problem is already known

"All windows delay showing their contents, while this is on, for 1/2 a second"

http://www.ntwind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?=&p=1697
"The delay is such that I cannot type for 250-500 milliseconds after TaskSwitchXP switches the active application and the new window gets the focus."

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=12676
"After I leave an external program, which I have called by pressing <Enter> on a file (i.e. .jpg with Irfanview), TC won't take any input for about 3 seconds."

etc...

There is probably a bunch of CTFMON related problems:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/proce ... n.exe.html
"ctfmon.exe is used to Inject a DLL named msctf.dll into all running processes. The msctf.dll resides within the System32 folder and is used to hook all WH_??? messages generated. I have hooked the API calls from msctf.dll and found that It hooks the keyboard, mouse and windows shell. Why, I don't know. As this is a trusted module installed by MS, I assume it is safe. But I also consider anything that hooks the keyboard to be a potential risk."
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 25 May 2007, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Interesting how this problem manifested itself in other applications just about the same way that it did here.

I'll also point out, that ctfmon.exe is part of a standard windows install (SP2 perhaps). Though it does not run by default.

Office is not required. I do not have Office (or any other WP suite, unless Vim qualifies :wink:) on either of my systems.

I had put IE7 onto both systems, though I rarely use it.

IE7 does cause ctfmon.exe to load into memory.

So it is conceivable that someone who doesn't have Office, & doesn't use IE7, (or anything else that may actually cause ctfmon.exe to actually load into memory) may never come upon this problem.

Oddly enough, on my computer in my office, which does have both IE7 & Office XP, ctfmon.exe does not load. Thinking that when I installed IE7, noticing the language bar, that I inadvertently disabled it correctly, thereby preventing ctfmon.exe from loading on that system. (It would have been some time ago, so I don't really remember, though i do know that I stopped the language bar from loading - in one fashion or another, on all systems that I get to.)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Also interesting is we cannot reproduce this problem on several Windows XP SP2 (Czech and English version) with IE7 installed. CTFMON is running, the MSCTF.dll is loaded into Salamander process, language bar is displayed in the Task bar.

There must be another (one or more) condition...
antp

Post by antp »

Jan Rysavy wrote: Please let us know your CTFMON.EXE version and office version. Thanks!
XPSP2 EN with IE7 and Outlook 2002 (only Outlook, provided with my PocketPC, I do not have the whole Office suite). At work I have the same problem with full Office 2003 installed.
On my virtual PC the problem occurred after installing IE7, without any Office component.
katsuhiko

Post by katsuhiko »

hi

regarding possible ctfmon issue
you could try to remove it, but a simple deletion doesnt work, so try this
http://www.gerhard-schlager.at/en/proje ... onremover/
ctfmon is used for switching langauage
after removing you are unable to switch !
(the tool can restore it)

i have the old winxp-sp2 ie installed and didnt update it
but ctfmon was updated after installing office and the problem
comes now to an real annoying state !

i only wonder, the other releases RC2 and lower worked just fine
(cant re-test it now bcuz it was timebombed)

an other issue what annoys me is when i delete stuff, salamander gui is locked.

hope this will help to fix it for an short upcomming working salamander 2.51

cya

Edit: changed version numbers: 2.6 to 2.51, 2.7 to 2.52, and 2.8 to 2.53
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks to everybody for their efforts!
The problem is now solved for me.
Goodness me, it just feels amazing to finally get rid of that nasty delay problem!

Best wishes
Tim

:)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

katsuhiko wrote:i only wonder, the other releases RC2 and lower worked just fine
(cant re-test it now bcuz it was timebombed)
Wait 30 seconds and Salamander will run normally. Or change the system time for a while.
katsuhiko wrote:an other issue what annoys me is when i delete stuff, salamander gui is locked.
Is it related to ctfmon problem?
katsuhiko

Post by katsuhiko »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
Wait 30 seconds and Salamander will run normally. Or change the system time for a while.
I know that might work bcuz the system is in the very same configuration,
but i need a correct time/date for several other things.
A non timebombed version would do too,
but i am waiting for full support to Unicode bcuz a lot files of mine contains japanese characters.
Jan Rysavy wrote:
katsuhiko wrote: an other issue what annoys me is when i delete stuff, salamander gui is locked.
Is it related to ctfmon problem?
only to the window time delay part for popping the msg window up
and start delete operation.

i am pretty much faster than my pc works.(3 GHz) ;)

might it possible that the speedmeter that came in cause the delay
problem in between salamander and ctfmon ?

i noticed too that salamander slows down on operations when one window
has an ongoing progress, like when file writes and salamander tries to refresh.

cya
therube

Post by therube »

Or change the system time for a while.
but i need a correct time/date for several other things.
Nirsoft just released this utility. Haven't had time yet to look at it, but it might just do the trick.

"RunAsDate is a small utility that allows you to run a program in the date and time that you specify. This utility doesn't change the current system date and time of your computer, but it only injects the date/time that you specify into the desired application.

You can run multiple applications simultaneously, each application works with different date and time, while the real date/time of your system continues to run normally."

Beyondo (which I do use) does change the system date altogether, so probably not as good for you, but it too can be set to revert after a set period of time.

(PS: Jan, maybe you could shorten that one link above, http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=9490#9345 . Might make the thread more readable for those with smaller monitors.)