Salamander still refreshing too much

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Oliver S

Salamander still refreshing too much

Post by Oliver S »

Since I had these problems with the automatic refresh taking a long time over a slow network connection, I switched off all the automatic refresh settings on the Drives page of the configuration dialog, including the ones for fixed drives. I also activated "do not refresh on activation..." for network drives. But no luck - especially when switching back to Salamander from a different application, I still see pauses while directory content is being refreshed. I get the impression that the options don't really work.

On network drives, despite the pauses new content is not found automatically, so the pauses don't even seem to server any specific purpose. On fixed drives, new content in directories is still found automatically, usually a moment after the application has been activated - but although automatic refresh is set to off. From time to time, slight pauses also occur when no network drives are being shown at all, apparently from fixed drive updating.

I can't help but wonder why this happens... I know that Windows has nice API functionality that allows non-blocking monitoring of directory contents. Actually Windows Explorer does this quite nicely, for once - current content is usually always shown automatically, even for network drives, and this doesn't use any special amount of CPU time or block Explorer in any way. As long as the content isn't on CDs or DVDs, that is :-)

Thanks
Oliver
Oliver S

Post by Oliver S »

Forgot to mention - sometimes there's even this popup shown when switching back to Salamander: "Checking path ... ", where the path is some UNC path.

That's why I'm sure there's really something happening, even though I have it all switched off.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Salamander still refreshing too much

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Oliver S wrote:On network drives, despite the pauses new content is not found automatically, so the pauses don't even seem to server any specific purpose.
Actually the free disk space is retrieved and panel path accessability is tested. We will suppress these tests when Do not refresh on activation of Salamander option is on. Oliver, thank you for your effort!

EDIT: Please test the upcoming Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11, the problem should be gone. You should return to default refresh options for non-network drives.
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 23 Jan 2006, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver S

Post by Oliver S »

Please test the upcoming Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11, the problem should be gone.
Will do, as soon as it's available. No worries about the effort - I like seeing an active effort being made on your side, and I also like testing product support before buying :-)
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan wrote:Please test the upcoming Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11, the problem should be gone.
I can't await the next beta - and the final release! :shock:
Oliver wrote:[...]and I also like testing product support before buying :-)
Very clever!! :P
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
Oliver S wrote:On network drives, despite the pauses new content is not found automatically, so the pauses don't even seem to server any specific purpose.
Actually the free disk space is retrieved and panel path accessability is tested. We will suppress these test when Do not refresh on activation of Salamander option is on. Oliver, thank you for your effort!

EDIT: Please test the upcoming Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11, the problem should be gone. You should return to default refresh options for non-network drives.
You must be kidding guys. Do you even realize that you already lost approx 90% of customers only because you are so INCREDIBLY slow? Next beta?!! I'm waiting for 2.5 about 2 years now and to be really honest, even I like SS I'm really getting fed up with that. If there will be no final 2.5 release until end of Feb 06 I'm switching to Total Commander... ;-( I don't need more functions now - I just need to be able to buy 2.5 license... Ufff...
omega

Post by omega »

It's going to be released in summer 06. It's a good thing we testers encounter problems and report them so the release version is improved.
If you look at the roadmap the new features won't be implemented for 2.5

Just a few months from now so i'm sure you can wait. If not then switch to TC

Post by Guest »

omega wrote:It's going to be released in summer 06. It's a good thing we testers encounter problems and report them so the release version is improved.

You know - the problem is that I'm using SS at work. Until now I was student and thus had student license. But now I'm using it in fact illegally which I don't like. And I don't want to buy 2.0 knowing that 2.5 is on the way. So I'm really thinking about switching to TC because I'm getting bored by Altap guys promissing final "next month" for past few years...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:You must be kidding guys. Do you even realize that you already lost approx 90% of customers only because you are so INCREDIBLY slow? Next beta?!! I'm waiting for 2.5 about 2 years now and to be really honest, even I like SS I'm really getting fed up with that. If there will be no final 2.5 release until end of Feb 06 I'm switching to Total Commander... ;-( I don't need more functions now - I just need to be able to buy 2.5 license... Ufff...
This was a bug and bug fixes are PRIORITY for us.
grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

Anonymous wrote:
omega wrote:It's going to be released in summer 06. It's a good thing we testers encounter problems and report them so the release version is improved.

You know - the problem is that I'm using SS at work. Until now I was student and thus had student license. But now I'm using it in fact illegally which I don't like. And I don't want to buy 2.0 knowing that 2.5 is on the way. So I'm really thinking about switching to TC because I'm getting bored by Altap guys promissing final "next month" for past few years...
Instead of bitching and whining about when the new version is coming out, the betas are totally usable and stable and they renew them when they expire, and you can export configs, etc. It is seamless transition from beta to beta. Would you rather have a buggy program as a 'final' ? not me.

I think you should probably relax and stop worrying so much about it. If your file manager is that integral to your life as a whole, there are bigger issues for you to worry about than the timing of the 2.5 release :)
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Anonymous wrote:And I don't want to buy 2.0 knowing that 2.5 is on the way.
Upgrade from 2.0 to 2.5 will be free of charge for registered users (see http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html), so you don't have to wait for the final version, you can purchase you licence now.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

grymmjack wrote:[...]the betas are totally usable and stable and they renew them when they expire, and you can export configs, etc. It is seamless transition from beta to beta. Would you rather have a buggy program as a 'final' ? not me.
That's it! And the SS beta's are much more better, usable and stable than most others... :D
Thanks to the Altap Team for the good work! :)
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by grymmjack »

KNUT wrote:
grymmjack wrote:[...]the betas are totally usable and stable and they renew them when they expire, and you can export configs, etc. It is seamless transition from beta to beta. Would you rather have a buggy program as a 'final' ? not me.
That's it! And the SS beta's are much more better, usable and stable than most others... :D
Thanks to the Altap Team for the good work! :)
@KNUT: definitely. I have never seen such high-quality in software development from a small team. Hell, I've not seen such high-quality in large commercial corporations. Altap raises the bar on excellence, no doubt. I have never had the betas (any of them) crash on me. Pretty amazing.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

I've never had Salamander crash for any reason... or at least I can't remember any time that it did, even during the thumbnail support development stage.

That would seem to me to be the basic standard against which all software should be judged.

This stability in Salamander makes up for the (sometimes aggravating) very long delay between releases.
Mouse-centric, Registered
ZXTT

Post by ZXTT »

And I'll add this: I've been using SS 2.5 since Aug 2003, about the time of the first/second beta. I've used it heavily and in all that time I've been bothered by only a couple of minor glitches. Meanwhile, the functionality has improved quite a bit.

If they'd slapped "final" on one of the betas and released the rest of them as updates, no one would have known the difference.