PictView: ScreenShot tool issues

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Georgd

PictView: ScreenShot tool issues

Post by Georgd »

This post is a mix of intertwined bug and suggestion so I did not know where to put it :? I'm sure you can handle it :)

"Screen capture => Foreground Application" has a flaw (see screenshots attached). It does not care about dialogs, so it captures only the Salamander rectange and ignores the dialog that is part of Salamander. Even though when dialog is modal and has the focus and hides parts of the rectangle being captured :( WinSnap (http://www.ntwind.com/software/winsnap/) handles this feature as I expect it to work, so it might serve as an inspiration. Moreover, it's feature "save as thumbnail" and "copy thumbnail to clipboard" is great; would be a tiny but nice addition smoothing the workflow of screenshots and maybe more.
Image Image

Moreover, I like the mode "Capture Windows/Object" of FastStone Capture http://faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm as it allows to capture single GUI widgets (buttons, lables, panes,...) without any need to crop manually. Great when talking about errors in translation, layout etc. of software.

Both tools allow to capture a rectange and provide a magnifier area, so selecting the correct are is easy. This is way more efficient and intuitive than frist capturing, then zoom in, select -- which is quite hard when you have to scroll at the same time -- and crop.

If PictView was able to do that as well, I could remove two more tools from my start menu and stay where I will manage the saved file...so I'm happy to hear from you what you think :)

/Georg
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you for your ideas! Please copy&paste your ideas to Feature Requests (look at Forum Rules).

I will look at problem you described.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Using Salamander since v 1.52
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you :)