remove USB stick ?!

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Tissatussa

remove USB stick ?!

Post by Tissatussa »

I use the newest version 2.5 RC1.

On my fathers PC - Windows XP SP2 Dutch- I can NOT remove my USB stick by right click the USB icon in the traybar, even when Salamander has the USB drive in NONE of its window panes. I have to EXIT Salamander to enable Windows to remove the hardware properly. It seems Salamander "holds" the USB drive letter ...

On my own PC - Windows XP SP2 French- i CAN remove my USB stick by right click the USB icon in the traybar when Salamander has the USB drive in NONE of its window panes. I do NOT have to EXIT Salamander to enable Windows to remove the hardware properly. Salamander does NOT hold the USB drive letter ...

Well, my fathers PC has troubles anyway .. just came up with a REAL message window saying there was serious trouble and our connection is broken ... on this machine I have to reset the connection manually by a PC reset .. good old ISDN you know .. and many Windows updates are not installed on this buddy. So I had to save the form text and pictures before sending you this post by the (free) BigFix Windows update check tool.

Have a nice day
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Why is "Windows 95" message displayed on Windows XP OS, do you have idea?

Regarding USB disk problem: unfortunately we are not able to reproduce such behavior. We are using the flash disks regularly on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, without problem. It looks like system remove-query-notifications are not delivered to Salamander on your Windows.

Do you have some special USB disk (for example with some custom driver layer)? Could you test another USB disk?
Tissatussa

Post by Tissatussa »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Regarding USB disk problem: unfortunately we are not able to reproduce such behavior. We are using the flash disks regularly on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, without problem. It looks like system remove-query-notifications are not delivered to Salamander on your Windows.
The problem is solved !!
I never heard of "system remove-query-notifications", but they are here now ... As I said, I have some other trouble with the PC -- I just installed the latest Windows patches and this matter is solved : I CAN remove the USB stick when Salamander is not displaying the drive in one of its windows panes. Now even the ISDN connection never falls !
BTW. An other problem stays : the Windows Installer can not be reached by applications which need it (probably this has nothing to do with this matter, but I want to share this info, HTH).
Jan Rysavy wrote:Why is "Windows 95" message displayed on Windows XP OS, do you have idea?
Ehh ... I once found this little image on the internet and saved it. In this case it has nothing to do with Windows 95, it's just an illustration for strange Windows behaviour in general. Sorry to confuse you, I thought it was obvious the picture is a joke and NOT a REAL message window ...
roman2

Post by roman2 »

I always thought that USB flash drives were hot-swappable, and I always removed simply by disconnecting them. Even when Salamander was showing one in a panel. Never had a problem.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It depends on cache settings for your USB flash disk.