Copy operation over slow network slows down Salamander

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Oliver S

Post by Oliver S »

Hm, I think just any kind of status information that would let me guess how things are going. When network connections are slow, you never really know if an application is actually doing anything or whether it might be stalled altogether.

How about showing the file name that's currently being worked on, and refresh that every second? That way the status should be updated regularly as long as something's actually happening (and if I know the structure of the directories that are being analyzed, I can actually guess how far the process is), and if the analysis process is really fast, like on a local drive, it's not slowed down by the status display.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Good idea, thank you! We can (minimal solution) visualize the ongoing process by some animation. Added to our to-do list.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Good idea, thank you! We can (minimal solution) visualize the ongoing process by some animation. Added to our to-do list.
Hi Oliver, Jan!
Nice discussion and - indeed - a good solution!

:P Now we're waiting for the next release...!!! :!:
Kind regards, KNUT

Why?

Post by Jesper Hertel »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Servant Salamander GUI is blocked, Reading directory tree message is displayed during this stage. It could be (theoretically) postponed to the separate thread, but it is a low priority for us (there are several problems related to this change).
To me it is a quite real "problem", or rather, it often blocks my work when I have to wait for Salamander to read the entire contents of a directory before I can go on. Of course this is only a problem when I move or delete large quantities of files.

I know that Windows Explorer is no better than Salamander in this point, but doesn't Salamander exist to make things easier and quicker than in Explorer?

It would be nice to understand why this is hard to move to the separate thread... I can't figure it out myself when I think about it. :? Understanding helps me accept it... so I don't have to swear about it :evil: every time I have to wait.

:) Jesper
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Why?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Jesper Hertel wrote:It would be nice to understand why this is hard to move to the separate thread...
We talked a bit about it and we will try to move reading to the separate thread (in Servant Salamander 3.0). I will update ALTAP Roadmap tomorrow.