Change case for Offline Files with Rename fails

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Tomcat

Change case for Offline Files with Rename fails

Post by Tomcat »

I use the Windows XP feature "Offline Files" that allows to make network files available when disconnected.
When I create a new file say NewFile.txt in an offline folder and try to rename to Newfile.txt (with lowercase f) SS refuses to do so with an error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
If I try this in a local directory it works as expected (changes the case without complaining).

The more mysterious error is the following:
As expected I can rename to Newile.txt (deleting the F). If I now try to rename to Newfile.txt (my original intent) surprisingly Windows or SS remember the old name and make the file NewFile.txt (with capital F) again. Shutting down SS in between doesn't help. Deleting NewFile.txt and trying to create newfile.txt (with SHIFT+F4) does also not help. Somehow the all-knowing system remembers the casing and creates a NewFile.txt.

I will try a reboot and post later if that helps.
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Try the same operation with Windows Explorer and let us know if that works differently or not.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Oh, I forgot that obvious test :oops: . In fact WinEx shows a similar behaviour, so Windows XP is the bad guy here. The only difference is, that it does not show an error message when refusing to rename from NewFile.txt to Newfile.txt.

BTW: Rebooting causes Windows to 'forget' the old name, thus allowing to rename from Newile.txt to Newfile.txt.

Sorry for this false alarm.