Offender Plugin

Support for developers of new plugins, third-party plugin announcements and discussions.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Offender Plugin

Post by manison »

Offender Plugin displays list of applications that locked a particular file. Simply focus the locked file in panel and select Plugins > Offender > Find Offending Processes or just press Ctrl+Shift+O. You can then Terminate all the offending processes and then perform the required operation on the file. After that you may try to Restart previously terminated applications. However note, that an application needs to be specially designed for this feature to work. Such applications include critical system processes (e.g. Explorer) and services.

The plugin requires Windows Vista or later since it uses component not available in prior versions or Windows.

Download
List of offending processes
List of offending processes
offender.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 28008 times
vld

Re: Offender Plugin

Post by vld »

I was looking for something like this...but don't use Vista. :cry: How about a universal plugin to work across platforms? A task Manger for Salamander would be awesome. :wink:
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

One question, is it possible to do as same as Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)? Not terminate proces, but "unlock files". It is so bad that Unlocker doesn't work in x64 bit Windows.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

vld wrote:How about a universal plugin to work across platforms?
I consider this as an option for the future if there's interest.
vld wrote:A task Manger for Salamander would be awesome. :wink:
What do you mean with task manager? Can't you use TC Proxy with ProcFS for example? Any feature missing?
Raptor wrote:One question, is it possible to do as same as Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)? Not terminate proces, but "unlock files". It is so bad that Unlocker doesn't work in x64 bit Windows.
I would suggest using Process Explorer. It features the Close Handle function and is 64b friendly. However closing files in a running application can make it crash.
vld

Post by vld »

manison wrote:
vld wrote:A task Manger for Salamander would be awesome. :wink:
What do you mean with task manager? Can't you use TC Proxy with ProcFS for example? Any feature missing?
I didn't realize this existed. I just added it and I cannot figure out a way to kill tasks as in this snapshot.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

manison wrote:I would suggest using Process Explorer. It features the Close Handle function and is 64b friendly. However closing files in a running application can make it crash.
Yes, you are right, it can crash another application, but it is user decission :-) Sometimes I just need it. For example if there is any "bad" application that locks files and using it just for read etc.. Another thing is locked directory. So I just asked if there is any chance you can implement it or not. I like shell extension in unlocker, so I can just click - check processes and unlock all. Process Explorer is just another application and I'm too lazy to start another program, look for process etc. Plugin in AS is better :-)

Well and another thing - is it possible for you to implement check on whole folder? For example I have folder with many files. One file is locked, so I want to select parent folder and check for locked files. After that should be great to see all processes and files that are locked. Now only process and PID is visible, file name not.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

manison wrote:After that you may try to Restart previously terminated applications. However note, that an application needs to be specially designed for this feature to work. Such applications include critical system processes (e.g. Explorer) and services.
Interesting. Is any documentation available regarding the restart feature requirements? Is it some technology introduced in Windows Vista?
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

vld wrote:I didn't realize this existed. I just added it and I cannot figure out a way to kill tasks as in this snapshot.
You're right, you cannot kill a process through TC Proxy since I didn't bother to implement the Delete (F8) function yet :) I will add it.
Raptor wrote:Yes, you are right, it can crash another application, but it is user decission :-) Sometimes I just need it. For example if there is any "bad" application that locks files and using it just for read etc.
No doubt. You have been warned :)
Raptor wrote:Another thing is locked directory. So I just asked if there is any chance you can implement it or not. I like shell extension in unlocker, so I can just click - check processes and unlock all. Process Explorer is just another application and I'm too lazy to start another program, look for process etc. Plugin in AS is better :-)
Unfortunately Windows component utilized by the plugin does not support closing files in running applications. Will you be interested in adding fronted for the handle utility? This would also enable the plugin under WIndows XP.
Raptor wrote:Well and another thing - is it possible for you to implement check on whole folder? For example I have folder with many files. One file is locked, so I want to select parent folder and check for locked files. After that should be great to see all processes and files that are locked. Now only process and PID is visible, file name not.
Recursive directory scanning? Alright, added to my to-do list.
Jan Rysavy wrote:
manison wrote:After that you may try to Restart previously terminated applications. However note, that an application needs to be specially designed for this feature to work. Such applications include critical system processes (e.g. Explorer) and services.
Interesting. Is any documentation available regarding the restart feature requirements? Is it some technology introduced in Windows Vista?
Please take a look at the Restart Manager and RegisterApplicationRestart function new to Windows Vista.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Great! Sometimes I need this functionality, so I'll probably use this plugin, thanks! ;-)

Suggestions/bugs:
-focus (or better select) first process in Offending processes listview (now it seems no process is selected but when I click Terminate, the first process is terminated)
-Restart button works well with Explorer, but with older processes (in my case hexedit.exe 1.0.0.1, from 1997) it says "The operation completed successfully.", but hexedit.exe process is not running (it was not restarted)
-use you own thread for Offending processes dialog (accelerators (e.g. F5, F3 keys) are not working in Salamander during you dialog is opened)
-it's not possible to exit Salamander when Offending processes dialog is opened
-capitalize dialog title: Offending Processes

BTW, what is offender.exe?
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

Petr Solin wrote:-focus (or better select) first process in Offending processes listview (now it seems no process is selected but when I click Terminate, the first process is terminated)
The selection does not matter. Windows Vista Restart Manager always shuts down all the offending applications (or at least tries to).
I admit that it's confusing. Maybe the best solution would be disabling the selection entirely.
Petr Solin wrote:-Restart button works well with Explorer, but with older processes (in my case hexedit.exe 1.0.0.1, from 1997) it says "The operation completed successfully.", but hexedit.exe process is not running (it was not restarted)
Yes, this is how the Restart Manager works. It reports success even if an application couldn't be restarted/didn't register itself for restart. I'll check the docs, maybe there's mechanism how to query restart result on per application basis.
Petr Solin wrote:-use you own thread for Offending processes dialog (accelerators (e.g. F5, F3 keys) are not working in Salamander during you dialog is opened)
-it's not possible to exit Salamander when Offending processes dialog is opened
I know, I was lazy :D
Petr Solin wrote:-capitalize dialog title: Offending Processes
Good point.
Petr Solin wrote:BTW, what is offender.exe?
It's being launched as elevated process to display GUI on limited user accounts.
vld

Post by vld »

manison wrote:
vld wrote:I didn't realize this existed. I just added it and I cannot figure out a way to kill tasks as in this snapshot.
You're right, you cannot kill a process through TC Proxy since I didn't bother to implement the Delete (F8) function yet :) I will add it.
Any ETA on the update?
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

vld wrote:
manison wrote:
Any ETA on the update?
Updated TC Proxy will be available soon after the first public beta/EAP release of 2.53.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I had a problem with locked directory few minutes ago. It was not possible to delete it until I killed conime.exe process (I work on Vista). Offender plugin said that directory had not been locked. So I guess conime.exe had current directory set to this directory. It would be helpful if your plugin can detect also these locks. ;-)
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

The updated version is available for download. This release just fixes some aforementioned issues. For the full list of changes see the history.txt file included in the package.
vld

Post by vld »

Is this still only for Vista