UnVE3D Plugin - Plugin for browsing Virtual Earth 3D cache

Support for developers of new plugins, third-party plugin announcements and discussions.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

UnVE3D Plugin - Plugin for browsing Virtual Earth 3D cache

Post by zarevak »

UnVE3D is an unpacker plugin for Altap Salamander 2.5 and later that can browse and extract Virtual Earth 3D cache files (node.dat files).

Please discuss UnVE3D plugin in this thread. Comments, suggestions and future request are welcome ;)

Usage:
- Browse node.dat archives in panel by enterring them as folders.
- Extract files by copying them from the archive to the second panel.
- Unpack whole archives by using Alt+F9 Unpack command.

Notes:
- Virtual Earth 3D cache on Windows XP can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Virtual Earth 3D\Cache
- Filenames are TileIDs - each TileID starts with 1 and continues with list of numbers from 0 to 3. Each representing a quarter of previous image up to the whole Earth: 10 is North America, 101 is Greenland, 1120212302 is Prague...
- Files in the cache doesn't hold any information about their type :(
- Ground textures (Map itself) are stored in DXT1 compressed 256x256 images each being 43688 bytes large.
- UnVE3D plugin automatically adds DDS header to all 43688 bytes large files for you to be able to preview them in PictView and other software. This may add DDS header to wrong file - if you find one, tell me ;)

Known issues:
- Because of Salamander limitation UnVE3D adds itself as a archive handler for all *.DAT files... (more in Czech)

Version History:
Version 0.22.29: (2010-01-06)
- Compatible with Altap Salamander 2.52
- Removed all external dependencies

Version 0.21.22: (2009-04-16)
- Compatible with Altap Salamander 2.5 and later (with the exception of 2.52 beta 1)
- Plugin icon only for Altap Salamander 2.52 and later

Version 0.2b1: (2009-03-30)
- added plugin icon
- better detection of file types
- new file types supported: BMT, PNG, ELV
- fixed DXT1 file size problems

Version 0.1b1: (2009-03-25)
- first version
Attachments
unve3d_0.22.29.zip
UnVE3D Plugin v0.22. Extract into your "Salamander\plugins" directory and add using Plugin Manager in Salamander.
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Last edited by zarevak on 16 Apr 2009, 17:55, edited 4 times in total.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

New version of UnVE3D plugin has been released and it contains detection support for more filetypes: DXT1, BMT, PNG and ELV.

File types:
- AerialImage: Files are raw 256x256 DXT1 compressed textures with 7 mipmap levels. For your convenience the plugin automatically adds DDS header for you to be able to preview them in PictView and other software.
- Buildings: Buildings are saved in BMT (Bundled Mesh Texture) files. They contain both the mesh data and the related texture.
- Clouds: Clouds use special internal format. Each file contains a list of sprites from general Cumulus01.bmp file and their transformations. These sprites then form one cloud on the map.
- ElevationData: Elevation data is storred in 16bit fixed point grayscale HD Photo compressed images and small correction table.
- HiResModels: Used only in Tampa, Florida. Files are stored in BMT format. Contains models with standart resolution textures.
- HiResModelTextures: This folder contains textures for HiResModels in higher then regular resolution. These textures are stored in BTM files.
- HybridImage: same as AerialImage.
- RoadImage: Files are regular PNG files.
- StreetModels - trees: In root folder, there is a cache for tree models. Each model is GZipped .Net Framework binary Serialized object describing the tree itself and containing its textures. In the subfolders are uncompressed .Net Framework binary Serialized objects containing the tree positions.
- Weather: 1 byte header and (header=1 Deflate compressed) .Net Framework binary Serialized objects.

File names:
- Filenames are TileIDs - each TileID starts with 1 and continues with list of numbers from 0 to 3. Each representing a quarter of previous image up to the whole Earth: 10 is North America, 101 is Greenland, 1120212302 is Prague...
- Take a look at the attached image. It should help you undestand the system.
Attachments
Coordinate system used by Virtual Earth
Coordinate system used by Virtual Earth
ve_coords.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 23402 times
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: UnVE3D Plugin - Plugin for browsing Virtual Earth 3D cache

Post by zarevak »

UnVE3D plugin was updated to use the new SDK to be compatible with Altap Salamander 2.5 and later versions. (With the exception of Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1) Download from the first post.

Plugin icon is available only in Altap Salamander 2.52 and later.

For Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1 continue to use UnVE3D 0.2b1.
zhao

Post by zhao »

hi~ This plugin is really amazing! :D
But i also found that, when i want to use the unve3d_0.2b1 in altap-salamander-2.52 , the altap-salamander say:" the plugin is not supported by this version of altap,Please get updated version of this plugin " :( ,then i tryed unve3d_0.21.22 the altap-salamander also said that.
I also get altap-salamander-2.51,and the unve3d_0.21.22 run perfectly, but this version can not extract BMT, ELV files :(

I really need you help right now!
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi, thank you for the report. I will look into it.

Sadly my passion for Virtual Earth has wore off so I haven't touched the plugin for 8 months now and it will take a bit of time (especially if the data format has changed).
zhao

Post by zhao »

oh~that sounds troublesome.
Now I study on the struct of that cache and the system both.And also how the data is built,that is, how to compress ( or maybe ) the datas whatever the format (elv, png ,etc..) of a grid to a single node.dat file, and how to get to use after that, uncompress it or maybe. :?
Your discussion of the above is very inspiring to me,I think I should do some experiments recently.

Thank you for the reply,and happy new year!
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi zhao,
I've just uploaded new version (0.22.29) of the UnVE3D plugin. It is tested to work with the final version of Altap Salamander 2.52 and latest Bing Maps 3D (Sadly I don't see the 3D mode available in the new Silverligh version of Bing Maps)
Download from the first post.

If you have any question or problems, don't hesitate to post ;)
zhao

Post by zhao »

You are a amazing guy~
:D Yes,It worked very well,thanks~Sincerely!
Nataniell

Re: UnVE3D Plugin - Plugin for browsing Virtual Earth 3D cac

Post by Nataniell »

New version (0.22.29) of the UnVE3D plugin is good for me. Does it works as good with previous versions as with Altap Salamander 2.52? That's not a problem for me to move to 2.52, but i get used to previous versions. Thanks.
polyp

Post by polyp »

You are my life saver!!! It worked fine!!!! Thanks a lot for your help!