shortcuts deleted in "upgrade" install

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
antp

shortcuts deleted in "upgrade" install

Post by antp »

If you uncheck the options for creating shortcuts when installing over an old version, it actually seems to delete the already existing shortcuts!
Is it a feature or a bug? In other install systems when you just uncheck these options it does not create new ones, leaving existing ones untouched.
I usually uncheck these because I do not want duplicate icons in case I moved/renamed those created by previous install.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

When the shortcut is renamed (by you), it will not be uninstalled during upgrade.

What looks strange to us is keep "Servant Salamander 2.0" shortcut pointing to "Altap Salamander 2.51" EXE (behavior you are suggesting).
antp

Post by antp »

Jan Rysavy wrote:When the shortcut is renamed (by you), it will not be uninstalled during upgrade.
Yes but then if I did not rename it, it is deleted, which is annoying. As I said, if I am unsure I usually just uncheck the options in usual installations.
If you want to prevent from having a misnamed link, wouldn't it be better to rename the old shortcuts than delete it?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are not sure. We will wait for reactions of other users and decide what to do.

Maybe we should try to bring parameters from old shortcut (hot key?) into new shortcut. I'm not sure if there is Windows API available to set these properties.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I believe that the main problem here is caused by putting version number in to the folder name.
As there is now the upgrade feature, there is no real reason to use:
C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander 2.5\
But instead
C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander\

The shortcut can be additionaly named when a shortcut already axists and points to some other folder then the current installation.
-
antp

Post by antp »

One more "bad" thing of the installation : when you change the folder/drive, it does not keep the program name.
So by default you have "c:\program files\altap salamander 2.5"
When you select for example the "d:\program files" folder, it should show "d:\program files\altap salamander 2.5", but here it only keeps "d:\program files".
So some novice user will not re-add the folder name after that (I already see that happening...)
This is the same behaviour as InstallShield which is IMHO not a good installer.
Other installers like Wise, InnoSetup, NSIS, etc. will readd the program folder name after the folder selected by the user, which is more logical as most of the time if the program is not installed yet the folder for the program does not exist either, and so the user will select the folder in which a new one has to be created.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Maybe a little explanation on the shortcuts options page in the installer would help.

And why re-create the links and import the user settings? Just rename them.
Ελληνικά rulez.