Save Settings command line switch

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SvA

Save Settings command line switch

Post by SvA »

I'd like to have a command line switch to turn off saving settings on close.

I'd also like to have this function available within Servant Salamander more easily, than from the options dialog. I'd suggest a special 'Exit without saving settings' menu item in the file menu (only if auto save settings is activated; a good short name for it will have to be found (maybe Terminate)) or a modifyer key (SHIFT, CTRL) which can be pressed while closing AS for this purpose. I'd prefere the latter method, since that could be made working with closing AS using controls in windows caption or task bar entry or keyboard shortcuts.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Save Settings command line switch

Post by Jan Rysavy »

There is ongoing discussion regarding auto save option in another Czech thread.

What we want to do is:
1. support both configuration in file and in Registry
2. speed up saving configuration to Registry (save differences only)
3. saving and loading configuration to/from file will be FAST
4. existing option Save configuration on exit make more specific (On exit save: [x]AAA, [x]BBB, [x]CCC, etc)
5. command Options > Save Configuration will save all (ignoring AAA, BBB, CCC options)

Would these changes solve your problem?

Another question is: Could you specify AAA, BBB, CCC?

Please describe cases where you need proposed Terminate command.
Ether

Post by Ether »

x] I'd like to disagree with the Ctrl/Shift/Alt/whateverelse key to modify the way AS is closed. IMO much better would be modifying the Close AS? dialog and make it like closing a document :) (Save and exit/Exit without saving/Cancel).
@Jan] Those changes you're proposing are most sufficient for me.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Jan Rysavy wrote:There is ongoing discussion regarding auto save option in another Czech thread.
Unfortunately I do not understand Czech.
What we want to do is:
1. support both configuration in file and in Registry
2. speed up saving configuration to Registry (save differences only)
3. saving and loading configuration to/from file will be FAST
4. existing option Save configuration on exit make more specific (On exit save: [x]AAA, [x]BBB, [x]CCC, etc)
5. command Options > Save Configuration will save all (ignoring AAA, BBB, CCC options)
This all will be great enhancements. It's not what I had in mind though. In general, you should classify settings into two global groups: Settings (i.e. program options) and state info (stuff like path of left and right pannel, sort order, default directories on all drives...). Settings should always be saved to file or registry at the moment the user leaves the configuration dialog using Ok, Save or something similar, not at program termination. You may create an additional option to save to memory only for backward conformity and special cases where you like to change setting temporarily.

Only state info should be written at program termination (and at system shutdown only by the last instance of Salamander).
Would these changes solve your problem?
These changes are only remotely related to my request and would provide no real solution to it.

I sometimes know before I start up Salamander, or at a certain point in time while working with a pre-existing instance, that all changes made to that instance of the program should not be saved. What I like to get is an easyer way to turn off saving these changes than to open up 'Options | Configuration...' navigate to the 'General' "tab" and clear the tick for 'Save configuration on exit'. Such changes could be change of the main window size (it's usually set in a way that the internal viewer scrolls horizontally be 80 characters [Take this as another low priority feature request]), adding items temporarily to the user menu bar, moving the panel divider, changing default viewers.

Most often , however I need it in a virtual environment. I work with virtual applications using Altiris Software Virtualisation Solution, which isolates a program and all it's settings in a Virtual Software Package, which can be switched on and off and even taken along to another machine. Sometimes, when setting up or maintaining such a layer, I run Salamander in the context of that virtual application. (The provided facilities are similar to Windows Explorer.) If I do not turn off Salamanders auto saving, Salamander's settings will be saved to that layer, where it ought not to be. Whether they are saved to registry or to a file does not matter.

Here is a different setting in which I'd like to have an easyer way to turn of saving settings: I usualy run several instances of Salamander in parallel. Say I add another packer to one instance. In order to not loose my change later on, I need to save my change to the registry after closing the configuration dialog. This protects my change from beeing lost from a program crash (rarely) or a system halt (more likely). Furthermore, this propagates the change to all instances of Salamander started after this. I then need to go to all instances of Salamander running at the time I made the change and turn off saving settings. If I don't do this, I might inadvertently close all instances which have the change before one that does not have it, and thus loose my change again.
Another question is: Could you specify AAA, BBB, CCC?
I never thought about this, but basically it's the two categories mentioned above. I can imagine, that someone liked to except certain state info from saving, e.g. always start with pannels sorted by name, or always start up with the same folders in the panels. Also some people are paranoid about history lists.
It is probably hard to find groups of option which suit all users. For this reason I'd suggest to allow partial sets of settings in configuration files, which ought to be human readable and editable. Then allow to specify one or more additional configuration files which will not be changed by Salamander and override settings in the primary setting location (file or registry).
Ether

Post by Ether »

Unfortunately I do not understand Czech.
Shade für dich...

The Save configuration option should better be right in the Configuration menu to be quickly accessible.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SvA, big thanks for very detailed explanation and for your time!
Your needs looks similar to needs of other users according to mentioned Czech thread.

These requirements are totally beyond us (Petr and me) so we really appreciate every feedback...