Internal Viewer: Tail mechanism

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
narkan

Internal Viewer: Tail mechanism

Post by narkan »

Hello together,

I just wanted to know if there is a function like the linux tail in the salamander. Means if I look at a log-file which changes all the time, that the salamander jumps automatically at the end of the file. Ok, it is possible, but only if I press Ctrl+R or End in the viewer.

And is there a function for maybe highlighting the row, in which a word occurs (e.g. ERROR -> the whole line should get red)? This would be really great.

Regards
omega

Post by omega »

Auto refresh is not build in the internal viewer if i'm correct. I don't know any viewers containing auto refresh function.

The ALTAP team is planning to rewrite the internal viewer, so more functionalities will be implemented. Right now there's no highlighting.
grymmjack

Re: Internal Viewer: Tail mechanism

Post by grymmjack »

narkan wrote:Hello together,

I just wanted to know if there is a function like the linux tail in the salamander. Means if I look at a log-file which changes all the time, that the salamander jumps automatically at the end of the file. Ok, it is possible, but only if I press Ctrl+R or End in the viewer.

And is there a function for maybe highlighting the row, in which a word occurs (e.g. ERROR -> the whole line should get red)? This would be really great.

Regards
There is a win32 version of tail command. There are other GUI tail's but they aren't as nice IMO. Search on google for win32 tail. If you find something good, let me know (I tail several logs during my developments).

HTH and Thanks
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

May i suggest an tool like ListXP

Stand alone exe.

Tailing. When a file has new data appended to it you can have
ListXP automatically refresh the display to include the new data. Since
ListXP only parses the new end of the file (instead of the entire file),
tail updates are very quick.
http://www.listxp.com/listxp_features.html

Just add an new viewer entry for your needed extensions
and assign ListXP to it.

--
I am not sure if View64 can tailing too.

--
More viewer suggestions are welcome :D

HTH
Stefan
Pleased user since v1.52        -   Licence# 0306-0046-01
jis

Re: Internal Viewer: Tail mechanism

Post by jis »

narkan wrote:I just wanted to know if there is a function like the linux tail in the salamander. Means if I look at a log-file which changes all the time, that the salamander jumps automatically at the end of the file. Ok, it is possible, but only if I press Ctrl+R or End in the viewer.
Try this free text editor: Notepad2.
It is small (540KB), fast and has even syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.
It is ideal replacement for Notepad.

This command jumps at the end of the file:
Notepad2.exe /g -1 "$(Name)"

You can customize built in schemes for highlighting whatever you need.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998