Windows 7 and Vista UAC support

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Anne

Windows 7 and Vista UAC support

Post by Anne »

July 20, 2009 - I have just spent the better part of two hours reading the entries in the forum about the UAC problem confronting AS when used with Vista and now Windows 7 ...
It APPEARS that you have been promising UAC support since before Vista was introduced, and now Windows 7 is here and still no support for UAC.
I would have thought that the UAC problem, so visible and aggravating to the user, would have been addressed and repaired by now.
SO, I am asking as a paid user, and before I go off looking for a program to replace AS, When will the UAC problem be fixed ?, and please,,, not the "soon" answer.

Thanks,
Anne
sebastian

Re: Windows 7 and Vista UAC support

Post by sebastian »

Unfortunately you are right, Anne.
Since may i use the Win7 RC and the prompts are really annoying. Until now i'm really happy with the salamander under XP.
Altap should get this fixed as soon as possible because I think that many people skipped Vista and will choose 7 (and many of my friends also think so). With the prompts it will be more and more difficult to sell licences for AS.
But I'm not really sure what I should think about the development... seems like the new website and localizations are still not finished yet :(

sebastian
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

Hi -

I don't understand the problems that you are speaking of re: the UAC in Vista & Windows 7.

If you want Salamander to run in Vista & Windows 7 the way it does in XP with "no" UAC, then either disable the UAC or log on with the hidden admin account. If "normal" UAC activity is OK when running non-Salamander apps like program installs, etc... then run Salamander at an elevated admin level -- RIGHT-click on the Salamander icon, select "Run as Administrator". This will allow you to go anywhere within Vista & Windows 7, HKLM\SAM and HKLM\Security notwithstanding.

What is it that you would like Altap to do with/ to the UAC ?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/members/185203.html

J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
Ether

Post by Ether »

jcgriff2 wrote:What is it that you would like Altap to do with/ to the UAC ?
I suppose they want Salamander to support (cooperate with) UAC. Disabling UAC is not a very good option.
sebastian wrote:Since may i use the Win7 RC and the prompts are really annoying. Until now i'm really happy with the salamander under XP.
Well, for you, I actually recommend disabling UAC or setting Salamander to start elevated everytime, because - correct me if I'm wrong - it seems you don't mind using Salamander in XP with administrative rights, so why bother in Win7?
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

ether wrote:I actually recommend disabling UAC or setting Salamander to start elevated everytime
Agree....that is what I am doing now and don't have any problems.
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

ether wrote:
jcgriff2 wrote:What is it that you would like Altap to do with/ to the UAC ?
I suppose they want Salamander to support (cooperate with) UAC. Disabling UAC is not a very good option.
There is nothing for Salamander to cooperate with. Running at an elevated admin level raises Salamander's file permission settings [ACL] to that of the hidden admin account + those of the admin-user that is logged on. Salamander's movement is unrestricted.

I agree that disabling the UAC is a bad move. The UAC allows you to run at a standard user level then provides the 2nd token necessary for those instances that admin rights are required.

The UAC is here to stay and has never interfered with my use of Altap.

Next, I suppose some will want Microsoft to conform to local laws regarding virtualization.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/members/185203.html
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
Ether

Post by Ether »

jcgriff2 wrote:There is nothing for Salamander to cooperate with. Running at an elevated admin level raises Salamander's file permission settings [ACL] to that of the hidden admin account + those of the admin-user that is logged on. Salamander's movement is unrestricted.
jcgriff2 wrote:I agree that disabling the UAC is a bad move. The UAC allows you to run at a standard user level then provides the 2nd token necessary for those instances that admin rights are required.
Well, that's a bit contradictory. According (among others) to the rule of letting processes have the least amount of permissions possible to run, Salamander should create a separate elevated process every time it requires more permissions to do the required task (and kill that process afterward) - that's exactly what 'supporting UAC' means.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It's a pity we cannot use Windows 7 UAC auto-elevation as Windows Explorer does :(
Default level Windows 7 UAC is fundamentally flawed.