Auto rotating bug in PictView

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
azaz44

Auto rotating bug in PictView

Post by azaz44 »

I just tested PictView today (I purchased AS without PictView in the past, but now I think I need it). The great thing is it's very fast at showing thumbnails when using thumbnails in the files, which is just great for me because I only want to use it to mange files (copy, delete), so using embedded thumbnails is fine for me.

But with JPG files, it doesn't seem to rotate them correctly.. Portrait images are 90 deg rotated. I use default configuration, which says it should rotate it.

The problem doesn't exist with NEF files (nikon raw), and also is gone if I disable using embedded thumbnails, but then it takes a long time to show thumbnails.
SelfMan

Re: Auto rotating bug in PictView

Post by SelfMan »

If possible, provide a sample.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

OK, here are more details.

I made a directory with two files, one JPEG and one NEF, both are two captures of the same photo made by Nikon D90. Camera was set in JPEG+RAW mode to store two pictures.
  • Use_Thumbnails - shows how it looks with default configuration. JPEG is not properly rotated. NEF is. Configuration visible on screen.
  • Use_Original - shows how it looks after configuration change, to ignore embedded thumbnails. Now properly rotated, but loads slowly.
  • Exif_Viewer - shows a snapshot of EXIF Viewer (Firefox plugin) inspecting the file and showing it's rotated.
I wanted to attach the JPG file too, but it's too big (5 MB) and the forum doesn't accept it. Zipping didn't help.

I also tested Photoshop and Faststone viewer and they both display image properly rotated.
I also tested Windows explorer and its image viewer and they don't rotate the image (Windows Vista), so they have a problem too.
Attachments
EXIF Viewer inspecting file.
EXIF Viewer inspecting file.
Exif_Viewer.PNG (154.06 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Options changed - ignore thumbnails and scan the whole file.
Options changed - ignore thumbnails and scan the whole file.
Use_Original.PNG (123.74 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Default options, use thumbnails embedded in JPEG.
Default options, use thumbnails embedded in JPEG.
Use_Thumbnails.PNG (127.61 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

You can store the image to any storage provider and put only a link here.
You cab use http://www.ulozto.net/ for example.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

Ether

Post by Ether »

This has been previously discussed, in a Czech thread PictView: Image orientation vs náhledy. There is also a summary post written by the plug-in developer.

Long story short, there are cases when the image's thumbnail properties aren't correct, or aren't correctly interpreted.
Ελληνικά rulez.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

Oh yes, it looks like the same problem. So is there anything about plans to fix it in this thread? (I can speak with Chech people and understand most, but written language - no way..)