Deleting a NTFS hardlink/junction

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

antp wrote:Shift+Del
It's currently used for inverting the default delete action - with trash, without trash. 8)

So as i suggest above, Alt-Del would be great.

BTW the junction utility from sysinternals is downloadable with source code too, so Altap can inspire self for adding this function to 2.5 final - it's not difficult to implement it. What do you think Jan R. and others?
Jiri {x2} Cincura
antp

Post by antp »

cincura.net wrote:
antp wrote:Shift+Del
It's currently used for inverting the default delete action - with trash, without trash. 8)
Sure, but what is the problem with that? If you use the trash the deletion is done by Windows, which handles junctions correctly... The bug only occurs when you delete by bypassing the trash, cf my first message.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

antp wrote: Sure, but what is the problem with that?
I think that's not so transparent like the separate shortcut.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

We plan simply to detect reparse-point and if it is reparse-point, we will only unlink it from directory and then delete that empty directory. New hotkey is not needed for this action.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Petr Solin wrote:We plan simply to detect reparse-point and if it is reparse-point, we will only unlink it from directory and then delete that empty directory. New hotkey is not needed for this action.
Umm, well and what about this:
I have dirS linked to dir (dirS is symlink)

I want to delete dirS (with all files in it). If I use delete as you're planing, the directory will be only unlinked and deleted, but files will be still there. It's little confusing, don't you?

This removes me the ultimate control about deleting only the junction and/or the content of the dir (with it).

Think about it.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I don't think it's problem. You can still open this directory link and delete content inside of this linked directory.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Petr Solin wrote:I don't think it's problem. You can still open this directory link and delete content inside of this linked directory.
Hmm, this is closer to workaround than to solution. I think that the behavior as you suggest isn't so transparent and smart (as I expected from Altap team).

So, If you think ..., it's your program... :(
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will change the Delete command as Petr wrote above.

If there will be demand, we can introduce confirmation unlink/delete.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We will change the Delete command as Petr wrote above.
OK.

Your program - your decision. :lol:
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

This problem has been fixed. When you delete reparse point (most frequently junction point or volume mount point), you do not delete also content of this reparse point recursively.